Truecaller is a privacy and security focused service. Pursuant to our mission to build trust in
communication, we are committed to being transparent and compliant with the laws of the countries we operate in.
In line with standard practices that global technology companies operating across multiple jurisdictions follow, Truecaller too keeps local
nuances like local data protection regimes, specific requirements set out by regulators in the jurisdictions, user preferences, and cultural
an agile manner and in compliance with the relevant jurisdiction.
Each user is able to restrict processing of their data, to disable any of the optional permissions, to download an entire copy of their data or to permanently unlist themselves.
The rights and interests of our users are a priority to us, and hence we provide largely identical rights to all our users across geographies barring some specific rights or requirements in a specific jurisdiction.
If you are resident in EU, EEA, UK and Switzerland please click here; if you are resident in Nigeria please click here; and if you are resident in any other region (other than California, USA) please click here
TRUECALLER NOTICE OF COLLECTION
This notice addresses the specific disclosure requirements under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), as amended by Proposition 24 of the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020 ("CPRA") effective as of January 1, 2023, by Truecaller International LLP to provide certain information about our data processing practices to California residents in addition to the disclosures in our Privacy Notice at or before the point of collecting personal information.
2. YOUR RIGHTS ABOUT INFORMATION COLLECTED, DISCLOSED, OR SOLD
- Right to know what personal information is being collected & Right to access personal information: You have the right to request that we disclose what personal information we collect, use, and disclose about you specifically. Truecaller provides many choices for You to manage your information. You can access and control Your information via our in-app Privacy Center (available under Settings>Privacy Center) where you can use tools to view, rectify, download, restrict processing or deactivate and delete your data. You may also submit a request to exercise the right to know by sending an email request to us using the Contact Information below and include “California Request to Know” in the subject line. Please specify in your request the details you would like to know, including any specific pieces of personal information you would like to access.
- Right to deletion: You have a right to request the deletion of personal information that we collect or maintain about You. You can access and control Your information via our in-app Privacy Center (available under Settings>Privacy Center) where you can use tools to deactivate and retain or delete your data. Alternatively, if you prefer You may submit a request to delete Your personal information, please contact us using the contact information below, and include “California Request to Delete” in the subject line. Please specify in your request the personal information about you that you would like to have deleted, which can be all of your personal information as required by the CCPA.
- Right of no retaliation following opt-out or exercise of other rights: You may not be discriminated against because you exercise any of your rights under the CCPA.
- Right to know what personal information is sold or shared and to whom: WE DO NOT SELL or SHARE CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS’ PERSONAL INFORMATION AND THEREFORE DO NOT OFFER AN OPT-OUT TO THE SALE OR SHARE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION.
- Right to limit the use and disclosure of sensitive personal information: You have the right to limit the use of "sensitive personal information” as defined under the CPRA. WE DO NOT SELL or SHARE CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS’ SENSITIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION AND THEREFORE DO NOT OFFER AN OPT-OUT TO THE SALE OR SHARE OF SENSITIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION. We might only use a limited number of sensitive personal information to the extent it is necessary to perform our services.
- Right to correct inaccurate personal information: In certain circumstances, you have the right to request correction of any inaccurate personal information. Upon verifying the validity of a verifiable consumer correction request, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to correct your personal information as directed, taking into account the nature of the personal information and the purposes of maintaining your personal information.
3. PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED
The detailed information about the personal information we collect can be found below.
3.1 USER PROFILE
When You create a user profile in the Services and confirm being the holder of a certain number, Truecaller will collect the information provided by You. In order to create a user profile, You must register Your first name, last name and phone number. Additional information that may be provided at Your option include, but is not limited to, photo, gender, street address and zip code, country of residence, email address, professional website, Facebook page, Twitter address and a short status message. Truecaller may supplement the information provided by You with information from third parties and add it to the information provided by You e.g. additional contact information that is publicly available.
3.2 INSTALLATION AND USE
3.3 THIRD PARTY SERVICES
3.4 CONTACT INFORMATION
Where the Truecaller mobile applications (“Truecaller Apps”) are obtained from other sources than Apple App Store or Google Play, You may share the names, numbers, Google ID’s and email addresses contained in Your address book (“Contact Information”) with Truecaller by enabling the Truecaller Enhanced Search Functionality. Where the Truecaller Apps are obtained from Apple App Store or Google Play, we do not share any user Contact Information. In addition to Contact Information, if You choose to activate use of a third-party service, such as social networks services, within the Services, Truecaller may collect, store and use the list of identifiers associated with said services linked to the Contact Information in order to enhance the results shared with other Users.
Please note that no other contact information other than the phone numbers and thereto attached names, Google ID’s and email addresses will be collected and used from Your address book. Other numbers or information that may be contained in Your address book will be filtered away by our safety algorithms and will therefore not be collected by Truecaller. Please also note that You can always choose not to share Contact Information with Truecaller and if You have shared such information and changed Your mind, You can delist Your number or opt-out to render Your entire Contact Information unavailable for search in the Truecaller database.
3.5 OTHER INFORMATION YOU MAY PROVIDE
You may provide us with various information in connection with Your interaction with our Services. For example, You may through tagging functionality associate a phone number, that is not registered in the Truecaller database or belongs to a User, with a business or name and You may report a phone number as spam or some other attribute to be included in spam blocking directories. Truecaller may also from time to time offer You the opportunity to provide information on Your experience from using the Services or to participate in, surveys or other promotions. Truecaller will collect the information You provide in connection therewith, as well as any other information You provide through the Services or when You communicate or interact with us.
4. USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
4.1 PROVIDE, AND IMPROVE OUR SERVICES
Truecaller may use the personal information collected to provide, maintain, improve, and analyze the Services to its Users, partners and third-party providers. More specifically, Truecaller may use such information to:
- provide smart caller ID, dialer and messaging functionality that, among other features, allow for population of unidentified numbers and other data in call or message logs, display the name associated with a certain number for incoming or outgoing calls and messages or following a manual number search against the Truecaller database;
- display the number associated with a certain name following a manual name search against the Truecaller database, subject to that name searches will only produce a number linked to the name if the number is available for search in a public database or relates to a User who has made his or her name available for search, provide Your information to the person You reach out to when requesting a contact via the Truecaller name search service, in which case Your request will be forwarded to that person via an SMS and he/she may choose whether or not to share the phone number with You at his/her own discretion;
- display information based on connections a User may have in common, directly or indirectly, with other Users via a “social graph” algorithm, display the “who viewed my profile”, "who searched for me" and “availability” functionalities of the Services;
- send in application push notifications and reminders and deliver messages via the Services, in which case Your messages will be kept for a limited period of time in order to deliver the messages but Truecaller will not, unless specifically stated, monitor the content of Your messages;
- maintain User spam lists and build a community based spam blocking directory;
- enable You to use and share Your information in connection with Your registration, login or other use of third-party services e.g. payment service providers, online services, social networking sites and other third-party API’s; and
- otherwise improve our Services, business and operations.
4.2 STATISTICAL DATA FROM THE SERVICES
We use aggregated or anonymized personal information for statistical and analytical purposes. We may come to share such data with third parties for providing and improving our services.
We do not consider personal information to include information that has been made anonymous or aggregated so that it can no longer be used to identify a specific person, whether in combination with other information or otherwise.
4.3 ADVERTISING AND COMMUNICATIONS
We may use your information to provide you with non-personalized advertising, by enabling restricted data processing using Google as a service provider. We do not use your precise location or personal information to serve you personalized ads.
Subject to your settings, we may contact You for verification purposes or with information pertaining to the Services or special offers, e.g. newsletter e-mails, SMS and similar notifications about Truecaller’s and our business partners’ products and services. We may use your information to contact you about our Services and features or to inform you of updates including to our terms and policies.
4.4 COMPLIANCE WITH LAWS AND PREVENTION OF FRAUDULENT OR ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES
We may use the collected information to comply with applicable laws and to enforce our agreements and protect and defend the rights or safety of Truecaller, its Users or any other person and verify provided User profile information with third-party providers and ensure technical service functionality and data accuracy, perform trouble-shooting and prevent or detect fraud, security breaches or illegal activities.
5. SHARING AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
In addition to the sharing and disclosure of personal information that is included as part of the functionality of the Services as described in section 4 above, Truecaller may disclose personal information if we believe such action is necessary to:
- comply with the law, or legal process served on us;
- protect and defend our rights and the enforcement of our agreements; or
- protect the security and safety of Users or members of the public or other aspects of public importance, provided, of course, that such disclosure is lawful.
We may disclose and transfer Your Information to our associated or affiliated organisations or related entities and to any third party who acquires our business, whether such acquisition is by way of merger, consolidation or purchase of all or a substantial portion of our assets.
6. DELISTING OF CONTACT INFORMATION, RIGHT TO OPT-OUT
If a User chooses to disable the Enhanced Search Functionality, the Contact Information made available by that User is disabled and will thereafter not be available for search in the Truecaller database. If any persons do not wish to have their names and phone numbers made available through the Enhanced Search or Name Search functionalities, they can exclude themselves from further queries by notifying Truecaller via its website at www.truecaller.com or as set forth in the contact details below. You acknowledge and agree that Truecaller may keep and process personal information related to such request in order to be able to honor the request. You have the right to opt-out of the sale of Your personal information. However, for avoidance of doubt, we do not sell Your personal information.
7. INFORMATION SECURITY AND TRANSFER OF PERSONAL INFORMATION TO OTHER COUNTRIES
We collect, use and share your information (for example, to deliver the Services,) including based on your consent, usage of our Services, and the choices you make upon registration and in your settings or as a matter of public interest or based on a legitimate interest of Truecaller (which is not overridden by your interests or Constitutional fundamental rights and freedoms). Such legitimate interests of Truecaller includes to protect and maintain the security of the Services, to understand and improve our Services and user relationships and to administer our business and customer support, or to create and maintain business directories, spam blocking directories and provide contextual information to detect and prevent unlawful activity. Where we process data based only on your consent, you may withdraw your consent at any time via your settings. We also collect and process and retain your information to comply with applicable laws and our legal obligations.
Services are not intended for or designed to attract anyone under the relevant age of consent to enter into binding legal contracts under the laws of their respective jurisdictions. Truecaller does not intentionally or knowingly collect personal information through the Services from anyone under that age. We encourage parents and guardians to be involved in the online activities of their children to ensure that no personal information is collected from a child without their consent.
WE DO NOT SELL THE PERSONAL INFORMATION OF MINORS UNDER 16 YEARS OF AGE.
12. AUTHORIZED AGENT
You can designate an authorized agent to make a request under the CCPA on your behalf if:
- The authorized agent is a natural person or a business entity registered with the Secretary of State of California; and
- You sign a written declaration that you authorize the authorized agent to act on your behalf.
If you use an authorized agent to submit a request to exercise your right to know or your right to request deletion, in addition to the steps described under Section 2 and Section 8 above, please mail a certified copy of your written declaration authorizing the authorized agent to act on your behalf using the contact information below.
If you provide an authorized agent with power of attorney pursuant to Probate Code sections 4000 to 4465, it may not be necessary to perform these steps and we will respond to any request from such authorized agent in accordance with the CCPA.
13. DISCLOSURE OF PRIVACY RIGHTS REQUESTS
The CCPA requires businesses to disclose the number of requests received, complied with in whole or in part, or denied. Please see the relevant metrics below which have been compiled based on requests from California residents through Truecaller’s privacy support channels.
|Request Type||Count||Average days to close|
|Requests to Delete/Unlist phone number||6||2 weeks|
The metrics above are for calendar year 2022 (January through December), and represent interactions where users have contacted us and explicitly requested to exercise their CCPA rights.
We will ask that you provide certain information to verify your identity, such as a code sent to your device we may have on file for you. If you have a password-protected account with us, we may verify your identity through our existing authentication practices for your account. The information that we ask you to provide to verify your identity will depend on your prior interactions with us and the sensitivity of the personal information at issue. We will respond to your request in accordance with the CCPA. If we deny your request, we will explain why.
You can also send Your enquiries (including in relation to any grievances to our Grievances Officer) via email to email@example.com or by post to ‘The Grievances Officer’ at the address below:
Truecaller International LLP
1st Floor, Platina Tower
M.G Road, Near Sikandarpur Metro Station,
Sector 28, Gurugram,
If Truecaller cannot resolve Your concern or if it is inconvenient to contact us, You may raise the matter with the Office of the Attorney General or with the California Privacy Protection Agency.
Effective date: 25 May 2018
Last updated: 16 January 2023